Saturday, March 27, 2010

Seem to have hit a snag.

Last year, I began weight watchers in February, at 360+ lbs. I lost weight very rapidly, until about the end of March or so, where I reached 312. My weight leveled off, and I gained back a bit of the 50 lbs I had lost. I stopped doing WW in May, as my work schedule was crazy, and I just wasn't able to take more weight off, no matter what I tried. I tried coming in at my alloted point amount, I tried 3/4 of my points, even tried half a time or two. I stayed more or less the same until October, when I came down with swine flu. Between that and pneumonia, I dropped to 309. Once I began to recover, I didn't watch what I was eating, and I shot back up to 335, at which point I began my current weight loss attempt.

This week, I have just felt off, and periodic checks of my weight have show that, despite eating fairly well and sticking to my WW plan, I seem to be steadily gaining all week. Today, I stepped on the scale, and confirmed it. 319. 5 lbs in a week! I know I haven't been eating enough to account for that.

Earlier today, I was taking my vitamins and using my allergy inhaler when it hit me. My inhaler is a nasal steroid, and I started using it the same time last year. The same week I began having trouble losing. Shit. I also stopped using it some time after spring, which is when my weight leveled off again.

I have to figure this out. This inhaler is the ONLY thing I have found that helps my congestion, other than the now prescription only Sudafed etc. I have no medical insurance, so Sudafed is not available to me. When my allergies act up, I can't breathe right, which means I don't sleep, which makes it VERY hard to watch what I eat. Further, this inhaler is like a miracle drug for me. It works better than anything I have ever tried.

Do I drop the medicine, and try to deal with the lack of breathing? Maybe I can increase my exercise to offset the steroid effects.

Oh well. At least now I have a reason for my sudden halt in weight loss. I can figure this out.

Edit:

Ok, so after my earlier stress and freakout, I rechecked my weight. I made sure the scale was level, and checked my weight three times, with the same result, 317. So, only a gain of about 2.5-2.75 lbs. Not great, but not as bad as I thought. I could be retaining extra water, I have really slacked on my water intake this week. Normally I drink a lot. Of water, I mean. So, more water, and I am going to see if I can do some more exercise. I decided last night to take the rest of the week off of the situp/pushup regimen, and restart next week at this same level. My abs are feeling overtaxed, and I don't want an injury. Have to replace that with other exercise, though.

Slept in late. No breakfast.

Lunch
12 oz coffee with raw sugar
Got busy doing research, forgot to eat

Dinner
12 oz beef round, broiled
1.5 cups carrots
1 bell pepper

I'll be at a bellydance party at my studio tonight, so hopefully the snacks don't prove too tempting for me. We'll see.

Didn't do terrible tonight.
2 tbsp cheese/salsa dip
16 tortilla chips
assorted cucumber slices, carrot sticks, celery sticks
8 oz coffee with raw sugar and fake creamer

1 comment:

  1. That's ruff. I'm sorry your inhaler is making you gain weight. The whole reason we want to loose weight is to be healthy right? So DON'T stop taking your inhaler, I mean- what good is loosing weight if you can't breath??? Hopefully you can figure something out...
    My advise? Well, belly dancing sounds like exercise to me- so make yourself the main attraction!!!! LOL. (If you do, don't forget to post pictures!!!) :)
    Hang in there, try not to be discouraged.

    ReplyDelete