Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I need protein...

I know this. I've known this for a long time, that I do much better if I eat a diet high in protein. It was reinforced when I began dieting, because I became much more aware of both exactly what I was putting into my body, and how my body was reacting to the different foods.

I got a reminder this morning. See, last night I ate most of my calories midday, which was fine. However, my late meal was almost purely starch, with no protein to speak of. This morning, I woke up and, how can I put this? I was a monster. I was awful, cranky, grumpy, lashing out, depressed.
I had some protein early on, and that helped, but it took until midday and several protein sources to get my mood back to normal.

Have to remember, I have to eat protein late and night, as well as first thing in the morning. I am simply a much nicer person when I have a good source of protein. Also, being low on protein makes my carb cravings much worse, and nearly impossible to resist.

Breakfast
Ham(4 oz) sandwich on wheat(2 slices)
13 tortilla chips with 1/2 cup salsa
1 small apple

Snack
1.5 oz beef jerky
14 cashews

Lunch
2 oz ham
3 small mandarins

Dinner
Ham(4 oz) sandwich on wheat(2 slices)
13 tortilla chips with 1/2 cup salsa

Supper
2 cups black beans and rice
6 small corn tortillas

Gah! I was so hungry, and decided to give in. Back on track tomorrow.

http://www.hundredpushups.com/week4.html
Week 4, Day 1 complete.

1 comment:

  1. Byron, I know what you mean about the protien and the effect of too many carbs. They tend to make me a bit of an ogre as well. It's always good when we recoginize something that upsets our system and actually have the ability to be able to fix it. Hope you have a better day tomorrow and I hope both you and your daughter are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete