Monday, March 22, 2010

In which I ramble senselessly...

One thing I have learned, if I am hungry, I have to find something at least somewhat healthful to cram into my mouth, or I will eat something REALLY bad! Which is why I keep about 20 of those darn MetRx meal replacement bars around. If I feel my willpower fading, that's it, my meal is decided. More carbs than I'd like, but it fills the hole in my gut, and has plenty of protein to keep me satisfied until next meal.
Another thing I do(which may not work for you) is I have tons of crap in my house. Seriously, cookies, candy, chips, soda, all of it, it is in my cupboards. For one, I have a 5 year old. So it's gonna be around.

The other thing is, sometimes, I have a craving. Most times, I can ignore it. But there are times where if I don;t satisfy it, I will keep trying to substitute, and end up eating three plates of something, rather than the 12 chips with salsa I really wanted.

Lately, as my diet progresses, I find I have fewer and fewer cravings. When I do, it is fruit, veggies and (always) protein that I crave. I have an entire shelf filled with fruits and vegetables in my kitchen. I go to the local fruit stand every two weeks and stock up. Apples, oranges, mandarins, bell peppers, garlic, bananas, cucumbers, papayas, tons of healthy natural snacks. All of them on a shelf at just below eye level.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Byron, you are right about the cravings. If we don't give in (in moderation of course) we do tend to overeat. There is always an abundance of fresh fruit and veggies in our house but sometimes it the bad stuff (carbs that I crave). I did find some Kashi bars at Costco on Saturday that have lots of fibre in them. They are 130 calories per bar and if I only eat one it is not so bad but I scarfed 2 of them at once. And the funny thing is the second one didn't taste any better than the first one.

    I will be posting week 1 results this evening.

    You can also do quick meals with ground beef. I cook up a large package and freeze it meal portions. Then I just add whatever ingredients I think will go good with it and again a meal in less than 15 minutes. I work full time so when I get home I don't want to spend hours in the kitchen so I take the ground beef, add some rice (also cooked in large quanities and frozen in meal portions), canned tomatoes and cheese. Bake for 15 minutes and good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the cravings, if I try to substitute other things, I'm not satisfied and keep eating and eventually have what I was craving in the first place!!! So I just give in and have what I am craving BEFORE I go through all that. I just try to only have a little bit though... sometimes it works, sometimes not so much...
    My son is 11 so I have junk around too. But as I am trying to be healthier I am getting him to be healthier also. I don't buy near as much junk as I used to. He eats a lot more fruits now instead of so much processed snacks, and he likes them, so that's good. (I have always made him eat healthier then me though lol)
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete